National Institute of Design [Design Aptitude Test (DAT)] 2020 Notification Released
- National Institute of Design (NID) at Ahmedabad and at its Bengaluru and Gandhinagar Extension campuses is an ‘Institute of National Importance’ as per the NID Act 2014 as well as an autonomous Institute under the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India.
- As per the NID Act 2014, the Institute is a statutory authority empowered to award its own degrees-presently offering Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) of four-year duration, Masters of Design (M.Des.) of two-and-ahalf year duration and PhD in Design. The Institute is also a member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- For Indian Nationals in General Category and General EWS Category: Only those candidates born on or after 1 July 2000 are eligible to apply for admission.
- For Indian Nationals in Reserved Category (Other Backward Class-Non Creamy Layer (OBC-NCL), Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST): Only those candidates born on or after 1 July 1997 are eligible to apply for admission.
- For Indian Nationals in PwD Reserved Category: Only those candidates born on or after 1 July 1995 are eligible to apply for admission.
- For Foreign Nationals in Overseas (Supernumerary) Category: Only those candidates born on or after 1 July 2000 are eligible to apply for admission.
- Applications for academic year 2020-21 are open to candidates who have passed or will appear for higher secondary (10+2) qualifying examinations in the academic year 2019-20 in any stream (Science, Arts, Commerce, Humanities etc.) from any recognised board of education such as CBSE, IB, ICSE or equivalent.
Mode of Application: Online
- General/ Genaral-EWS/ OBC-NCL: Rs. 2000/-
- SC/ ST/ General-PWD/ General-EWS-PWD/ OBC-NCL-PWD/ SC-PWD/ ST-PWD: Rs. 1000/-
- Overseas (only B.Des.): Rs. 3000/-
Mode of Payment: Online & Offline
Mode of Exam: Online & Offline
- The B.Des./GDPD DAT prelims paper will consist of an examination of 3 hours duration and 100 marks.
- This is a paper-and-pencil/pen test, conducted at the same time on the same day across all test centers. The questions asked may involved text and visuals.
- The question paper will be in English language ONLY.
- Based on the DAT Prelims scores, separate merit lists shall be prepared for each category applied for by the candidate. Only shortlisted candidates will be eligible to appear for the DAT Mains exam as per the schedule announced.
- Separate merit list will be prepared for Overseas candidates.
- Based on the scores obtained in the DAT Prelims, eligible candidates will be shortlisted for the DAT Mains. Admit Cards for shortlisted candidates will be available for download only on the official NID admissions website (http://admissions.nid.edu).
- The DAT Mains will consist of tests in multiple formats such as in a studio set-up. The tests will be conducted over a maximum period of three days.
- The total marks of the DAT Mains exam will be 100.
- The question paper will be in English language ONLY.
- The test centres could be any of the campuses of the various NIDs viz Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Gandhinagar, Andhra Pradesh, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh & Assam. Exact details of the Test Centre will be mentioned in the DAT Mains Admit Card. NID reserves the right to change the test centre.
- NID will not provide accommodation for candidates appearing for the DAT Mains;p candidates must arrange travel/accommodation at their own cost.
- Stage 1: Design Aptitude Test (DAT) Prelims:
- Design Aptitude Test (DAT) Prelims will be conducted at various test centres across India (Refer Section 7.3 of this doucment).
- Candidates should note that appearing for the DAT Prelims or being shortlisted for second stage of admission process does NOT guarantee automatic entitlement to admission.
- Stage 2: Design Aptitude Test (DAT) Mains:
- Candidates shortlisted after the DAT Prelims will be invited to appear for the Stage 2 DAT Main exam at Ahmedabad or at all campuses of NID viz Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Gandhinagar, Haryana, ANdhra Pradesh, Assam and Madhya Pradesh.
- Exact details of the Test Centre will be mentioned in the DAT Mains Admit Card.
|Accepting Application Form online starts||1400 hrs on Tuesday, 01 October 2019|
|Last date for submitting online application||1400 hrs on Thursday, 07 November 2019|
|Last date for submitting online application on payment of late fees (online payment via Debit/Credit Card only)||1400 hrs on Wednesday, 13 November 2019|
|Last date for receiving printed application forms accompanied with a Demand Draft (to be sent via speed post, registered post or courier)||1600 hrs on Wednesday, 13 November 2019|
|Window to edit the application forms||From 1800 hrs on Wednesday, 13 November 2019 until 1800 hrs on Friday, 15 November 2019|
|Download Admit Cards for DAT Prelim**||1600 hrs on Friday, 20 December 2019|
|DAT Prelims Exam (B.Des, GDPD and Overseas candidates)+||Sunday, 29 December 2019|
|DAT Prelims result for B.Des. and GDPD||1600 hrs on Thursday, 19 March 2020|
|Rechecking request for DAT Prelims||1800 hrs on Friday, 20 March 2020 until 1800 hrs on Monday, 23 March 2020|
|Download Admit Card for DAT mains for B.Des. and GDPD starts||1600 hrs on Tuesday, 14 April 2020|
|DAT Mains for B.Des, GDPD and Overseas candidates ***||Between 29 April to 3 May 2020|
|DAT Mains result for B.Des. and GDPD||1400 hrs on Thursday, 28 May 2020|
|Counselling||5 & 6 June 2020|
- *NID reserves the right to change/alter this schedule due to unforeseen circumstances.
- **Admit Cards will be available for download on the NID website (http://admissions.nid.edu) as per the schedule. It is the responsibility of the candidates to download and print their own Admit Cards.
- + Reporting time will be mentioned in the DAT Prelims Admit Card
- ***The exact dates & time of DAT Mains will be mentioned in the Admit Card.